Saturday, March 14, 2009

Some innovative internet search engine! (finally!)

I have been an admirer of Google Internet Search for very long. I have to admit, however, that despite of several small features, I have seen this company lagging on innovation. I mean that they got used to have the highest share in the internet searching market, and they diversified the portfolio getting into other elements: Google News, Gmail, Blogger, Google Alerts, Google Image Search...

But the engine itself was still the same, from my basic user perspective. Then some guys went out of google and started Cuil.com a nice way to search that deals with related terms as well as literal concepts, building on what has interested others that have searched the terms before. Also, you get a small preview of the pages before you click them, so it saves some time getting you away from "404 error" sites and similar.

But yesterday I found SearchMe, a new way to search that saves you even more time in the same line that Cuil use: it shows you the pages before you actually need to click on them, and you also have a magnifying glass that helps you navigating through part of the web page without getting into it. When you do intensive internet researches as I tend to do for work, this is a real time saver which I appreciate a lot. I am not sure if they have cached as many pages as google or cuil, this is still very fine for me. From time to time, I appreciate getting less than more, so if the first 100 pages I can navigate through are not giving me the answer, I am positive that I might do a better search somehow. :)

While searching this one, I found that on top of the attractive "Cover Sliding" feature we first saw in iTunes, you can mix contents more or less in the same way Google recently allowed us to check video in the search results, but as soon as you finish up with the video, you note you are still in the same search page you were before. There must be something with the concentration you lose when you navigate away from your "basecamp" in the quest for the answers you seek in Internet that I believe this SearchMe one might well tackle too.

Go and have a look at SearchMe... interesting one!

No comments: